TIPS FOR HIKING THE HOLLYWOOD HILLS:
- Bring water. You are essentially hiking a desert mountain, plus the trail can take up to an hour and it can reach pretty high inclines.
- Wear work out clothes (especially sneakers). I know people want to look cute for the pictures, but it is a fairly exhausting hike in direct sun. Cute outfits are not worth it.
- Go early in the morning or later on in the day. The Hills are cooler and more shadowy then.
- Stay on the trails. There are snakes, bugs, and all kinds of crazy things in the brush. Stay on the nice, wide trails they provide.
WHERE TO GO TO HIKE/ SEE THE HOLLYWOOD SIGN:
- If you’re looking to get to the hiking trails, take an Uber, if you can, or park near Sunset Ranch. This is a ranch that gives tours of the Hills by horse. Their entrance is a great way to cut into the trails and hoof it up there yourself. Parking seems nearly impossible there, but IT IS possible to park not too far from the hiking area. Cutting through Sunset Ranch is a super easy way to get to the trails.
- If you’re not into hiking or just want to go straight to a great view of the Hollywood Sign, go to Lake Hollywood park. It’s an adorable park that’s usually filled with cute dogs and it gives you a spectacular view of the sign (pictured above). You can bring a picnic, people watch, or just take in the gorgeous view.
A few weeks ago, my college friends, Anik and Carolyn, came to visit LA. I was thrilled that I finally got to show people I care about around the city, like a proper Los Angelean. They had never been to LA before and they were only going to be in town for 24 hours, so I decided the best place to take them was the Hollywood Hills. We hiked the trail cutting through Sunset Ranch. Check out the vlog to see what we got up to in the Hills:
I hope you have a fantastic Hollywood hike and safe travels!